Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Staying Safe in Kansas Weather

This Kansas weather has been quite strange lately.  Stormy weather started early this year (February).  The barometric pressure has been doing crazy things that has been leading to migraines I haven't had for years.  I thought it was April showers that were supposed to bring May flowers, but the forecast shows rain expected for much of May.  Now, I'm not complaining about nice gentle rain, but I'd rather not deal with thunderstorms.  And, as long as I'm making requests, can we have nice gentle rain during the night and beautiful sunny days?  It certainly makes taking my power chair out doable and much more pleasant.

Tonight we had a storm that took me by surprise.  We had a beautiful walk home from school and a fun evening with the kiddos and their friends and a pleasant ride to church.  Suddenly, we're in the church and it starts pouring and hailing.  This gets me to thinking, what am I to do if a tornado warning comes while I'm in an inaccessible building?  I hear the class from upstairs running downstairs because of the weather.  My co-teacher checks to see if there are any warnings.  I know I will send her downstairs with the class if needed.  Their safety is my primary concern (and the safety of my own kiddos).  I know they can get to the basement if needed.  But, then what about me?  Where will I go?  Where is there an interior room with no windows?  I can't think of one.  Inside the baptistery would seem to be the safest place on the first floor, but I can't get there.  So, what is a wheelchair user to do?  Where should I go to be safe in an inaccessible building?  At that moment, I longed for the security of my home with a basement and stair chair to help me get there.  What do you think?  How do I stay safe?  Do I just stay at home during the stormy time of year?  When is that exactly?  Do I stay glued to the weather report and not venture outside my home if there is even the chance of a storm?  What about weird, unexpected storms that seem to form over my head?  Or, do I just accept the fact that some places are inaccessible and not let fear keep me from going there?  Do I just live my life and trust that God will protect me or take me home to Heaven if it is my time?  If that is the case, why do any of us seek storm shelter?  I'm really struggling to process all of this.  Please send your comments and let me know what you think I should do.  How do I stay safe and not get paralyzed by fear?

If you like reading my posts, please consider following me.  It's an easy way to know when I've posted something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment