Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Media Fast

Our kids got punished by grounding from all electronics--no TV, movies, video games, MP3 players, CDs, computer, etc.  I am absolutely loving no electronics. I know it was meant to be a punishment, but I’ve been watching the kiddos be so creative and have such a great time working together, I think I might just have to have a media fast every now and then. Right now, they are working on spy training.  They have already recreated a couple of trucks into army vehicles by changing parts around and gluing pieces on (as well as coloring with markers). I don’t remember the last time they played so well together. I guess when you don’t have electronics to entertain you, you have to play with your sibling. J


Car parade



I remember when Eric and I went to a retreat center and were on a media fast. It was not a problem for me to have no TV, magazines, cell phones, computer, etc. No computer would certainly put a damper on my blog, but that is OK. We talked about coming home and instituting a media fast every now and then. I don’t know what happened to that idea, but we didn’t do it. OH yeah, we explored Kansas every weekend last year. That was sort of a media fast in itself.   Well, I’m thinking we should start and occasional media fast now and maybe break it with family movie night.

I know people often talk about the "good 'ol days," sometimes with fondness.  I for one am totally fascinated by technology and the ways I can use it to help compensate for my disability issues.  However, I find myself fascinated with the creativity happening around here this weekend.  Maybe when we turn off electronics that think for us, we are forced to think more creatively for ourselves.  Maybe without the distraction of electronic entertainment, we are forced to engage with others in our lives for entertainment.

What do you all think?  What role does media play in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment