Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Rejoice in Trials

I listen to Focus on the Family almost daily and it usually gives me interesting tidbits to ponder, but that's about it.  Well, today's episode really effected me.  I listened to it more than once, recomended my Wednesday night class parents and fellow teachers listen to it, and ordered the Family Kit for our family.  It was titled "Helping Kids Hide God's Word In Their Heart" and the special guest was Gary Smalley.  I know it is vital for helping kids and I definitely have been looking for parenting tools/suggesstions to keep them from getting swept up by the world's influence, but these are great principles for anyone.  I think we would all do well to follow these four principles:  1.  Humble yourself
                                                           2.  Love God
                                                           3.  Love others
                                                           4.  Rejoice in trials
The last principle is the one that really got to me.  We (especially in America) have decided life is supposed to be free from struggles and EASY.  I think most of us would like an easy button to get through life and not really have to put forth effort for much of anything. 

1 Peter 1:6&7 says "In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trial.  These have come so that your faith--of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire--may be proved geniune and may result in praise, glory, and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed."

It is no fun to be refined by fire, but God knows what He is doing.  And, once I'm throuogh the fire, I feel more genuine--as God knows I will.  May I always offer him the praise, glory, and honor He deserves.  Nothing great happens without effort and trial.  I hope I can remember in the midst of trial that I am being refined and greater things are waiting--in eternity, if not before.

If we all live by the principles: 1.  Humble yourself
                                             2.  Love God
                                             3.  Love others
                                             4.  Rejoice in trials
the world will be a much better place.  May I keep my priorities in check and realize it's not all about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment