Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Responses to the Cross

Eric and I attended the Palco-Damar ministerial alliance community Good Friday service at St. Joseph's Catholic Church in Damar last night. This was my first experience with a Good Friday service in a Catholic Church.  This is my first experience with the Stations of the Cross.  For me, personally, I think I would have gotten more out of taking a prayer walk around the room myself than ritualistic corporate reading while leaders walked to each station.  I am not used to rituals and readings from the bulletin.  I found myself needing to close my eyes to focus on Christ and worship Him, not focus on the decorations around me.    Worship is much more a personal experience for me.

There was discussion during the service of the varying responses of individuals to the cross.  Imagine for a moment that you don't know the end of the story.  You don't know how things will turn out.  Imagine you are sitting at the foot of the cross not knowing this is not the end.  How would you respond?

The cross was covered with black cloth to represent mourning.  How glad I am that we know this is not the end of the story.  Sunday's coming!!!



If you've never been to St.Joseph's Church, it is quite ornate and was a finalist for the 8 Wonders of Kansas in Architecture.  Stop by and enjoy the amazing architecture.  The acoustics are quite incredible with the rounded ceilings.  You can't say something in one part of the church and hope to keep it a secret from someone in another part of the sanctuary:)

No comments:

Post a Comment