Total Pageviews

Monday, April 2, 2012

April Fools Day

Ahhh, April Fools.  This day can either be fun or miserable.  It's all in how you take it.  For those who love harmless pranks and love to be pranked, it can be the favorite day of the year.  For those who don't like pranks at all or prank in a way that is not harmless, this can be a very dangerous day.  For those who take things literally, this can be a confusing day.   Thankfully, I think I am past the stage of taking everything literally with my traumatic brain injury.  Well, maybe that is not exactly true.  Maybe my family is just kind enough to use harmless pranks that are not about lying to me, so we can all have fun.  Switched cereal boxes, rubber banded handle on the water hose, or a dollar wrapped into the toilet paper are just plain fun.  So are foods disguised to look like other foods.

What is not fun is people who blatantly tell lies.  Since when does God tell us on one day a year we can forget the commandment about lying if we follow it with "April Fools."  One of the standard April Fools jokes in my life was "It's snowing!" immediately followed by "April Fools."  What is difficult is when the "April Fools" does not immediately follow the lie.  How am I to ever know to trust people if they keep a lie going for several hours or all day?  As the parent of young children, teaching that lying is ever OK (even if it is only one day a year) is a dangerous proposition.  Lying is wrong, ALWAYS!!!

I know there are people out there that will read this and think I'm a killjoy and ruining all your fun.  I know there are some of you that are thinking right now, "Just lighten up."  I'm just saying there is a way to make April Fools Day loads of fun without sinning or hurting others (intentional or not).

You must know if you tell me a major lie on April Fools Day, I will have difficulty trusting you from that point on.  Telling a lie about a serious issue is dangerous.  Someday, if it is true in the future, you may find people have difficulty believing you are telling the truth.  Let's just have fun on April Fools and enjoy harmless pranks.

Mother nature pranked us this year.  Who needs temperatures in the mid to high 90s on  April 1?

No comments:

Post a Comment