Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Why I Don't Drive

One of the hardest things about the changes after the accident was the fact that I lost the ability to drive.  I cherish my independence and it has been hard to be dependent on others for transportation.  There are no spontaneous trips left in my life.  There are no more mother/child trips just by ourselves.  It has taken me a long time, but I think I'm finally OK without driving. 

I know they make hand controls that would allow me to work around my right foot not working.  And, I have to admit there have been times I thought that would be a good idea.  I am finally convinced (at least for this minute) that driving is not OK for me.  It is less about my right side motor skills issue and more about my brain injury--specifically my lack of reaction time. If a basketball comes flying out of bounds, I don't even know I should react until it is already flown by my head and everyone around me is ducking.  :)  Can you imagine that reaction time behind the wheel of a car?

If I were driving, I would be taking the kiddos to school every morning.  If you have ever been part of drop off time, you know it is a mad house.  Cars are stopping in the middle of the driving lane to let kids out.  Kids are dashing across the street between cars to get into the school.  One thing I have discovered about myself after my traumatic brain injury is that I must 100% of the time follow the rules exactly.  So, I know I would drive the school zone speed limit.  However, I don't think that would make it hurt less if I couldn't stop in time before hitting a car that stopped suddenly in front of me or a kid darting across the street.  So, it is just safer for everyone involved if I don't get behind the wheel.  I hope everyone out there that does drive has better reaction time than me.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment