Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Book Review: The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins

I checked out The Hunger Games in mid-January for my one book per month Kindle library check out thinking it would be fine.  I could read one book in January, one in February, one in March and be good.  WRONG!!!  It was so riveting that I could not put them down and was thankful our library had a copy.  So, I was able to finish the trilogy with no need to wait in between books. 

Writing a review about these books is difficult, because I don't want to give anything away in case you read them for yourself.  The series is a trilogy, and I was concerned it would be a case of one great book and those following would be a bit of a disappointment.  That is not the case.  I would consider this one story that just happens to be broken up into three books.  There is no real way to read one part without the rest.

There is a romantic triangle in this trilogy, but there is also action and politics.  Without giving too much away, the story centers on the 12 districts each sending a boy and girl to the Hunger Games.  This is a case of 24 enter the games and only one victor at the end.  There is a lot of death and violence, but enough character development that you can overlook some of what could be considered "acts of war."  I have never been a big fan of politics in general, but the politics in this trilogy intrigued me and had me questioning what my response would be in a similar situation. 

I don't usually like to watch movies based on books I've read, but I am excited for The Hunger Games movie.  Maybe it is because I had seen the movie trailer before I read the books. I had already seen the actors/actresses.  So, as I read the books, those are the people I pictured in my mind.  We'll just have to see if the movie is as riveting as the books.  I know there will be a lot of action, but there  should also be enough of a dramatic story line to keep me intrigued. 

Read these books for yourself and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment