Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Loving Technology

I am absolutely loving the technology that is available out there.  I might love it anyway, but I really love the technology that enables me to do things my body will no longer do for itself.  So, I thought I'd share with you all the cool things I have discovered and see what you know is out there I haven't yet discovered for myself.

1.  Let's just start with computers.  I remember taking computer science in high school when the Internet was just beginning and we could go play online games if our work was all done.  Who ever would have imagined that technology would explode like this in such a short time.  Now, I can do almost everything on my computer including connect with friends and family around the world.  I can share my thoughts with all of you via this blog, email, facebook, etc.  I can look up any question I have on Google and find almost anything I want to buy somewhere on the web.  My husband has a lap top which he can use anywhere and we can even watch movies and TV on it.

2.  My cell phone lives in my pocket for instant connection to whomever.  It also keeps me organized with a calendar and alarms to let me know something important is coming up.
3.  My piano is really a full-size Kurzweil PC3x.  So, besides sounding like a baby grand (which it does most of the time), I could learn how to utilize it as a full orchestra.  Cool, huh? 
4.  Plus, VocRehab is currently figuring out technology to help me enlarge music so it is easier for me to see.

5.  Our Blu Ray player can instantly connect to Netflix and other programs, so I can sit on the couch and watch our TV whenever I want.
6.  Loopz and the handheld version .
7.  Kitchen scissors, blenders, food processors, apple corer/slicer/peelers, anything that can cut food and not my fingers. 
8.  Crock pot and my new 3 in one crock pot for sides.  . 
9. Enclosed garlic mincer.  I just drop a clove in the top, roll it around, and Voila!!  minced garlic with no minced fingers.
10. Sleep Number bed--I can make it firm enough to get in and out of it, but soft enough to let me sleep. 
11.  My Kindle because I have a library at my fingertips, I don't have to struggle with a heavy book and turning pages, it can read out loud to me when I can't read for myself, and I can now check out books on it.  YEAH!!

I am thankful for all the technology out there related to my disability:
12. Wheelchair
13.  Electric wheelchair
14.  Reacher
15.  Sock donner
16.  Stair chair
17.  Water chair
18.  Home Buddy
19.  Handicap bars 
20.  Shower chair

I'm sure this is only a partial list of what I use everyday, but it is what I could think of right now.  What else is out there, I should look into?  Does anyone have an idea of what I could use across the door of my wall oven to keep from burning myself when it is open?--kid of like a giant pot holder that will cover the entire open door?  Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment