Total Pageviews

Friday, December 21, 2012

The End of the World

Well, people have been saying today is the end of the world.  I don't remember anyone saying what time of day though, so maybe we're not there yet.  Anyway, I don't for one second believe it is the end of the world.  The Bible is clear when it says, "But the exact day and hour? No one knows that, not even heaven’s angels, not even the Son. Only the Father knows"  Matthew 24:36  (Message).  When my children asked me if the world was going to end today, I would quote the above scripture and tell them "not the 21st--maybe today, or tomorrow, or the 20th, or the 22nd.  No one knows.  Our job is just to be ready"  But, what exactly does that mean I should be spending my remaining time here on Earth doing?  I am ready--Christ is in my heart.  But, what is my responsibility while I'm still here.  Keep reading in Matthew through chapter 25 and I believe He gives you the answer.  In Matthew 28:19 He says, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."  

So, what should I be doing with my time here on Earth?  I should be "making disciples" or as the Message says, "Go out and train everyone you meet, far and near, in this way of life, marking them by baptism in the threefold name: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Then instruct them in the practice of all I have commanded you."  Everyone we meet.  Not just those in our home or church.  EVERYONE!!  What does that mean to you?  

It is interesting to me that before we are given this command or Great Commission, we are told in Matthew 25 to carefully invest the talents we are given and reach out to those in need.  
"I was hungry and you fed me,
I was thirsty and you gave me a drink,
I was homeless and you gave me a room,
I was shivering and you gave me clothes,
I was sick and you stopped to visit,
I was in prison and you came to me."
Maybe, just maybe, before someone is ready to be "trained in this way of life," we must meet their needs.  We need to be showing not just telling about the love of Christ.

How do we do that?
How do we stay focused on Christ and others?
How do we show His love not just talk about it?
This is what I feel I need to be spending my remaining time here on Earth doing (no matter how long).  None of us is promised tomorrow.   I know that better than most.  I woke up from my car accident still here on Earth and want to make my time left here count.  I am working on having the courage to be obedient and stay in constant conversation with God.  What else should I be doing?  How can we best support each other?
http://angel-memoriesforgotten.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-courage-to-be-obedient_12.html

Curtis Flax posted this on his Facebook page today
"Maybe this is what the Mayans predicted. Not an asteroid, or a solar flare, but the end of what we are. We no longer cherish life, or other people, even the earth or the animals and resources put on it. War, genocide, abuse, senseless mass murder, animal cruelty, gluttony, greed, waste and lust... Look around you, the end of the world is already here"

If you like reading my posts, please consider following me.  It's an easy way to know when I've posted something new

Thanksgiving for today
311.  Carpet  cleaning specials
312.  Willingness to volunteer to be "on call" over the holidays
313.  Kiddos knowing to avoid "yellow snow"
314.  Inter library Loan
315.  Snowball Fights
316.  Friendly Greetings

No comments:

Post a Comment