Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Giver Trilogy by Lois Lowry: Book Review

A friend of mine recommended The Giver by Lois Lowry to get my opinion.  I'm still not really sure if she liked it or not.  However, I liked it so much I finished the library loan quickly and then bought myself a copy on my Kindle.  Then, I found out it was first in a Triology that our library had, so I quickly found myself checking out the other two books and devouring them.

None of the reviews I read talked about the impact of this trilogy on the disability community.  It actually reminded me of my reaction to Dophin Tale.  http://www.angel-memoriesforgotten.blogspot.com/2012/01/dophin-tale-movie-review.html  The impact of the story lines to the disability community really impacted me, but not the reviewers so much.  I guess it's true that our life experience colors everything around us.  I see the amazing strength and abilities of those considered "broken" because that is an area that impacts my life right now.  I find it so important that those considered "broken" by society are valued and recognized for their contribution.  No matter how we look on the outside, no matter what it appears we cannot do; what matters is who we are and what we can accomplish on the inside.

A quote from Gathering Blue really spoke to me.  “Take pride in your pain, you are stronger than those who have none.”  I find it is often because of my disability and struggle in life that I have found inner strength and joy.  God has definitely picked me up from  the ashes and uses me in ways that surprise even me.

The trilogy shows the importance of a positive community and focusing on using our gifts to help others.  There is no way anyone in this trilogy could safely and successfully get through life on their own.  We truly are dependent on our interconnectedness.  It is important to surround ourselves with positive people that can help us through life, not suck the life right out of us.

I devoured this triology and was saddened to see it come to an end.  However, I was thrilled to hear a fourth book is on its way.  I can't wait until it gets here.

1 comment:

  1. You have a nice review! Here's mine if you don't mind: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-giver-by-lois-lowry.html

    Thanks and have a nice day! =)

    ReplyDelete