Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Movie Review: Joyful Noise

I just got back from seeing Joyful Noise and feel I must write a review about it.  It is an amazing movie and I encourage all (adults) to see it.  There is some language that would make it inappropriate for children, but it is rated PG-13 after all.

The first indication that it is a great movie is that I watched it after my normal bedtime and had no trouble staying awake.  There was enough comedy that kept me laughing and balanced the drama well.  I can't even begin to remember or discuss all the various levels of storyline within the movie.  It was obviously about music and there was a lot of it.  There was a storyline about family dynamics and how that all plays out.  There was a character with a disability and I loved how music was used to help him.  My favorite line was about if you don't fit in the box, don't try to squeeze you into the box, make a bigger box.  (I can't remember it exactly because that was longer than 30 seconds ago)  The different characteristics of all the choir members let to a very interesting movie with lots of fun subplots. 

There was a subplot about church politics.  We got to see them at their worst, but of course it all works out in the end.  (better, or at least faster, than reality at times).  There was a church member threatening to remove financial support from the church if things didn't go her way.  There was also the pastor making decisions alone about the choir without any input from the choir.  There was a choir director who didn't like change.  It handled the push/pull of those pushing for change versus those not wanting any change quite well.  It's really all about listening to God and going the direction He wants for you.

Oh, and there was of course the "star crossed lovers" subplot, which always keeps things interesting.  I tried to stay to the end of the credits, but the theater turned off the movie before the end.  That's small town movie theaters for you.  I guess I'll just have to watch it again when it comes out on DVD to find out if there are any suprises at the end of the credits.

This movie kept me awake and at the edge of my seat the entire time.  I never once even felt myself starting to fall asleep.  I find it interesting that this is the movie available for me to watch the same weekend I have been having music revelations.  For the first time in 7 1/2 years, I left a movie wanting to own the soundtrack.  I also left with thoughts about the music/worship at my church.  I hope we can all work together to do whatever it is God wants us to do and not let ourselves get in the way. 

Go watch this movie and let me know what you think.  I'm curious if it effects others the same way it effected me? By the way, I think I heard a dying cat at one point.  See if you can figure out where.

No comments:

Post a Comment