Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Happiness vs. Joy

I read something this week that talked about how we need to do whatever it takes to make ourselves happy.  The thought of us deserving happiness and doing whatever it takes to make it happen is dangerous. Happiness is so fleeting and dependent on circumstances. What I want to have in my life is joy--which comes through your relationship with God. Happiness seems to be a bit selfish and self-serving. (and temporary) Joy is not dependant on my circumstances.  Joy is trusting in the future and knowing the promises of God WILL be fulfilled.  Joy sees the possibilities in all circumstances.

Part of the problem is our sense of entitlement, that the world owes us. Well, the world doesn’t owe me happiness--in fact, I’m glad God doesn’t give me everything I deserve.  It would definitely not make me happy. I’m not sure it’s possible for anyone to “be happy” for any length of time if they are constantly focused on self. Focusing on self necessarily creates pain and unhappiness for others. That is not loving and not what I am called to do as a follower of Christ.

"And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.  Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.  And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He had given us."  Romans 5:2b-5

I have joy because I have hope for the future.  I would love to help you get joy, but all I can do is point you toward God who wants to give you joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment